Web-based cataloging

Lori A. Schwabenbauer, Camden County Library LORI at camden.lib.nj.us
Thu Nov 20 09:40:33 EST 1997

Well put, Steve.  With the advent of web-based catalogs, there's no reason not
to build a catalog with links to Internet resources.  In fact, what if....what
if many libraries decided to cooperate in the effort to catalog and maintain
records for Internet resources, and built links to *each other's* catalog
records via the Internet?  Those libraries choosing to participate could agree
on a few basic cataloging standards (LCC and/or Dewey, LCSH - how universal are
these?) and even the "generic" catalog records produced would be far more
valuable than no cataloging at all.  Each library could choose some particular
subject area for which it would be responsible, and would have to maintain a
powerful enough server to allow for the hits from other libraries.  Heck, I
might catalog web pages just for the fun of it.  For a while, at least.  All
right, so I don't have a life!  :^)

Lori A. Schwabenbauer               609-772-1636 x3336
Supervisor, Automation Services     fax 609-772-6105
Camden County Library               lori at camden.lib.nj.us
203 Laurel Road                     http://www.cyberenet.net/~ccl/
Voorhees, NJ  08043  USA            Opinions/ideas/gripes are mine.