Browser usage -Reply

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Nov 18 07:41:13 EST 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: Chizuko Kawamoto <ckawamoto at cdpr.ca.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Monday, November 17, 1997 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: Browser usage -Reply

>Vladislav S. Davidzon wrote:
>To remove IE4 however, under NT4 or Win95 just go
>into control panel, add remove programs and select
>Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and click remove,
>then download and install IE3...
>
>I don't want to remove IE 4.0.  Do you know if I can
>keep both versions like I do with Netscape?  When I
>installed IE 4.0, it slightly changed how Windows 95
>operates (not only desktop).  I'm sure I'll have to
>face lots of questions I don't know which way to
>answer when I reinstall older version.  I could do
>what you suggested, and reinstall 4.0 later IF IE
>allows you to keep both versions.  Since I don't have
>lots of time and patience, I'll probably just wait till
>the company upgrades the voice e-mail I purchased.

It is not possible to run IE3 and IE4 on the same machine.  They use
different versions of too many files in the Windows directory.

Vladislav's note about how to uninstall IE4 is theoretically correct.  But
be aware that both comp.infosystems.www.browsers.* and
microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.* have many stories of people who cannot
get IE4 to completely uninstall (it's almost like it's an integral part of
the operating system!).  If you really have to uninstall IE4 and go back to
IE3, you may need to use third party uninstallers.

BTW, the majority of IE4 problem reports I've seen are from people who
installed the desktop integration stuff.  It's a more stable program if you
turn that off.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu