statewide library directories

Kevin C. Marsh KMarsh at Information.org
Thu Nov 13 14:58:42 EST 1997

Kate Borowske wrote:
>We are hoping to include information for academic, special, public, and,
>possibly, k-12 libraries.  Entries would include information on hours,
>facilities, policies, collection strengths or special resources (such as
>ERIC fiche) and a link to a web site or catalog (if available).

This sounds like a good candidate for a GILS database.  That way you could
search for collections in a region or on a subject and retrieve descriptions
with links.  For libraries that support Z39.50 access to their catalogs, you
could even offer the option of selecting libraries from the search results
and running a second query against the contents of their collections.

I'm working on a similar project with museum collections in Texas.  Feel
free to e-mail me directly if you have any questions about our project or
our GILS/Z39.50 approach.

Kevin C. Marsh, Executive Director
Information Access Institute
KMarsh at Information.org     http://Information.org