AltaVista Strange Results

Library Internet Resources Co-ordinator webguru at gtu.edu
Thu Nov 13 11:19:25 EST 1997

At 2:24 PM -0800 11/12/97, Even Flood wrote:

>...Yahoo! and the others are very good at picking up those.
> The web cataloges are then by far the best web tools.

This is tru to a degree. However there is much that these catalogs do not
have, a better choice are subject specific web link catalogs like we have
created (and are still creating) at the GTU.

Have you ever registered a series of pages with Yahoo? This is a very
tedious process with your having to fill out a form for every page.
Infoseek at least allows you to email a list of URLs and Hotbot you can
register your pages with one URL.

I often refer to the general catalogs when starting a new subject specific
links page but rarely get more than a basic start. A Hotbot search often
turns up much more.

Library Internet Resources Co-ordinator webguru at gtu.edu
(currently Gilles Poitras gpoitras at gtu.edu)
Graduate Theological Union Library
2400 Ridge Road         Berkeley, California, USA
http://www.gtu.edu/library/