Web Search Engines "Made Simple" -Reply

Susan Maze smaze at iris.wmwoods.edu
Wed Nov 12 18:30:45 EST 1997

Hello,

I really tried to stay out of this but I just couldnt help myself.

Unfortunately, one of the things we have found with the major search
engines (at least at the time we did the research) is the people who
answer the questions re: search engine inconsistencies are in PR and
are not generally very aware of the technology.  Many times we received
answers copied and pasted from the help pages on the site in response
to specific search questions.

> Judy Chen from HotBot seems to be the only rep from a major search engine
> who participates in Web4Lib, and her answers to questions raised in this
> thread have been the real gems of the discussion.  Maybe we need to invite
> other search engine producers to participate in this list?

I truly do appreciate Ms. Chen's participation and look forward to
learning more from her.

Susan Maze
Reference/Systems Librarian
Dulany Library