Electronic Journals

Glen Davies GLEN at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Wed Nov 12 15:21:17 EST 1997

We are looking at the likes of Blackwell's Electronic Journal
Navigator which will provide a common interface to electronic
journals from various suppliers, at a cost of course.
http://eservices.blackwell.co.uk/ejn/
While they don't have a very comprehensive list of journals yet this
should quickly increase.

OCLC are also setting up something similar.
http://www.oclc.org/oclc/menu/eco.htm
One advantage of their setup is that they are archiving all
electronic journals that they provide access to and they also keep a
record of when your subscriptions started and finished. This means
you can still access backcopies of journals for the period that your
sub was current.

> Our library is acquiring an increasing number of subscriptions to
> Web-based journals and other resources. We're looking for a friendly
> way to present these journals to our clientele. When the numbers were
> small, we were able to offer a link from our web site to each journal,
> but with Project Muse and JSTOR subscriptions and various publishers
> offering all of their titles online, the numbers seem to demand a different
> approach.
>
> While we catalog our electronic journals, we don't have a web-based
> online catalog (yet), so we're looking for a way to get users to the
> resources from our web site.
>
> In addition to subscriptions, we also want to point our users toward
> "free" resources on the Web. Do we mix these in with our "on-campus
> only" subscriptions?
>
> Does anyone have good solutions? Do you list individual journal
> titles or just link to the projects? Would a database help us
> maintain a list of journals? Is an alphabetical list and/or one
> arranged by subject useful to users of your web site? Do you have
> searching facilities to help users find particular journals? What sort
> of workflow do you use in subscribing to electronic resources and
> making them accessible? I'd love to hear about successful methods and
> to see examples of what others are doing.
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Marty Tanner Hughes
> Asst. Systems Librarian
> University of Georgia Libraries