Electronic Journals

Jim Morgan morganj at iupui.edu
Wed Nov 12 11:05:50 EST 1997

Prt of the problem of the "free" journals is that their polices seem to be
in flux.  We get a number of advertisements from medical publishers of
journals that are free until a certain date, others that have a few
articles free but charge for others, and still others that offer abstracts
but require payment for the complete text.

We've wound up creating one list for journals to which our users have full
access to all online articles (by some sort of login code or IP number)
plus journals which seem likely to remain free (such as government
publications) and a second list which simply lists all biomedical online
journals of interest to our users.

The second more complete list is just our way of saying to our users "You
can get to this journal online, but you may or may not be able to get to
full-text articles" depending on the current policy of the publisher.

Of course in all cases the online offerings are limited.  Except for those
journals that were produced online from the start, very few journals seem
to have their entire archive online.  And we haven't yet been able to
offer our users evaluations of the quality of the online journal.
Information about the completeness of the material - the availability of
illustrations, tables, editorial material and advertising - would be
useful but is time-consuming to collect.

Jim Morgan
morganj at iupui.edu