AltaVista Strange Results

Helen R Lloyd ulhrl at dewey.newcastle.edu.au
Wed Nov 12 04:52:40 EST 1997

> Actually, that is not a good idea, judging by my results
> yesterday. I did several searches on AltaVista  at
> www.altavista.telia.com
> in Sweden and AltaVista in the US. The result were
> a) consistent in that I got the same numbers of hits
> every time I repeated a search at the same site,
> b) consistent in that I got roughly three times as many hits in
> the US version as in the European "mirror" on all the search terms I
> used.

This is something I have also noticed when using the Australian
mirror of AltaVista.  I did the "date rape" search and got over 7000 hits
on the U.S. site and "about 2000" on the Australian mirror.  The search
page and options are also different.  The Aussie mirror doesn't have the
Refine button, or the option to search in different languages.

I thought a mirror site was supposed to be an exact copy.  I can
understand that at any given time the mirror sites won't be as up-to-date
as the original site, but there should not be that much difference.

Helen Lloyd

Helen Lloyd                         | email: ulhrl at dewey.newcastle.edu.au
Faculty Librarian (Art & Design)    |
    and Library Web Manager         |
Huxley Library                      | Ph  (intl+61+2) 49216455
University of Newcastle, AUSTRALIA  | Fax (intl+61+2) 49216904