[CFP]Canadian Association for Information Science (June 3-5, 1998: Ottawa, Canada)

Terry Kuny Terry.Kuny at xist.com
Mon Nov 3 10:51:38 EST 1997

             Call for Participation

          26th Annual Conference of the
  Canadian Association for Information Science/
  Association canadienne des sciences de l'information
                  3-5 June 1998
          Universite d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario

   Information Science at the Dawn of the Millennium

For more than a quarter of century Canadian information scientists have
met to discuss the access, retrieval, production, organization,
distribution, value, use and management of information. From those early
days of examining computational ways of manipulating information through
to investigations of information as communication, CAIS has provided a
forum for presentation, discussion and debate. CAIS/ACSI '98 continues
this noteworthy tradition.

CAIS/ACSI '98 will be held at the Universite d'Ottawa, in Canada's
national capital, Ottawa, Ontario. CAIS will be meeting with the 1998
Congress of Social Sciences and Humanities which will offer exceptional
opportunities for creative contacts and fruitful between CAIS delegates
and members of the other 80 learned societies that will meet concurrently.

We seek submissions related to any aspect of information science,
particularly those which exemplify the leading edge of our discipline.
Submissions must include a 500 word extended abstract of the proposed
paper. The author(s) name, complete address, phone, fax and email should
be included on a separate sheet. Abstracts will be refereed; final papers
will be published in the proceedings and presented at the conference.
Preference will be given to papers that report research or debate
underlying methodological/philosophical issues, rather than those that
report on plans yet to be implemented.

Deadlines
>>> for abstracts: January 15, 1998.
>>> notification of acceptance: February 15, 1998.
>>> for final papers (3,000-4,000 words) in electronic form: April 15,
1998.

Doctoral candidates are especially invited to submit to the conference.
CAIS will be awarding a full conference registration and one year
membership to the best student submission. Student submissions must be
single-authored. Please indicate student status on your submission.

Initial submissions in print or electronic form (ASCII, Word or
Wordperfect) should be sent to:

 Elaine Toms
 CAIS '98 Program Chair
 School of Library and Information Studies
 Dalhousie University
 Halifax, NS B3H 3J5
 Voice: (902)494-2452
 Fax: (902)494-2451
 E-Mail: etoms at is.dal.ca

 CAIS '98 Programme Committee

 Jamshid Beheshti
 McGill University

 Pierrette Bergeron
 Universite de Montreal

 Joan Cherry
 University of Toronto

 Chun Wei Choo
 University of Toronto

 Ann Curry
 University of British Columbia

 Wendy Duff
 University of Toronto

 Bernd Frohmann
 University of Western Ontario

 Lynne Howarth
 University of Toronto

 Andrew Large
 McGill University

 Lynn Mackechnie
 University of Western Ontario

 Stephen Marsh

 Michael Nelson
 University of Western Ontario

 Hope Olson
 University of Alberta

 Yuri Quintana
 University of Western Ontario

 Alvin Schrader
 University of Alberta

 Michael Shepherd
 Dalhousie University

 Albert Tabah
 Universite de Montreal

 Elaine Toms, Chair
 Dalhousie University

 Margaret Wilkinson
 University of Western Ontario

Elaine Toms
School of Library and Information Studies          Voice: (902)494-2452
Faculty of Management, Dalhousie University        Fax: (902)494-2451
Halifax, N.S. B3H 4H8                              E-Mail: etoms at is.dal.ca