Electronic libraries, ultra flat screen "look"

Alain Vaillancourt NDGMTLCD at GSLIS.Lan.McGill.CA
Sun Nov 2 17:19:00 EST 1997

> Charles P. Hobbs <transit at primenet.com>
> "That I'd like to see. How would such a system look like.
> (I'm envisioning something like an LCD screen, but I feel
> somewhat limited by my own imagination at this time)."

If you just want to know how it would look like, in context, just
rent out 2001 A space Odyssey.  Take a look at the scenes inside the
Discovery.  The command and control screens are all high resolution
color, but the astronauts also use ultra-thin (looks like less than
1/8 of an inch) black and white screens that seem to be completely
portable.  One of them is watching a BBC TV programme on it while
eating, without seeming the least worried about geting food on its
surface.

You see those screens a few seconds only but it must have taken days
of work by the effects and props crews to get everything just right
to create the illusion of a flat screen, lying there, casually askance
on the dinner table.

The interesting thing is that the film was produced more than 30 years
ago.

Au revoir

Alain Vaillancourt

ndgmtlcd at gslsi.lan.mcgill.ca