Web Search Engines "Made Simple"

Robert Rasmussen ras at nimbus.anzio.com
Mon Nov 10 12:41:51 EST 1997

I'll suggest an experiment to test the hypothesis that different searches on
AltaVista, for instance, end up running on different machines.

Do three identical searches. When the results come back, note and record the
search URL that shows in your browser's URL slot.

If the search results are different, are the URLs different?

Does typing in the same URL result in the same data?

I just tried this from a single PC, with a search for the problematic "date
rape". Three times, I got the count of 22258 hits. Maybe the problem occurs
only when different PCs try it ... ?

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760