[FYI] An example of an emerging electronic "book" technology.

Terry Kuny Terry.Kuny at xist.com
Tue Nov 4 11:25:46 EST 1997

Hello gentle subscribers,

A recent thread on Web4Lib about electronic libraries
and paperless offices brought up a couple of questions
regarding future technologies for electronic books.

A recent article in the IBM Systems Journal describes
a project at MIT which is working on "e-ink" and
other technologies that "reinvent" the display of
electronic text. The article provides an intriguing
look at a very cool future technology.

This development is, to my mind, still some distance
from a marketable and affordable product that will
match the current interface advantages and cost
efficiencies of paper. But the article is also notable
for its clear, short articulation of the advantages the
book format has and a recognition that the objective
is to enhance this display technology, not necessarily
replace it. A very interesting article.

For further information, see:

J. Jacobson, C. Turner, J. Albert, and P. Tsao,
"The last book," IBM Systems Journal, Vol 36, No. 3 1997.

"In this paper we describe our efforts at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology Media Laboratory toward realizing
an electronic book comprised of hundreds of electronically
addressable display pages printed on real paper substrates.
Such pages may be typeset in situ, thus giving such a book
the capability to be any book. We outline the technology we
are developing to bring this about and describe a number
of applications that such a device enables."

The article is available online at:

  http://www.almaden.ibm.com/journal/sj/363/jacobson.html

Enjoy.

-terry

Mr. Terry Kuny                  Home Office: 819-776-6602
XIST Inc./                      Email: terry.kuny at xist.com
Global Village Research         URL:   http://xist.com/kuny/

Snail: Box 1141, St. B, Hull, Quebec, Canada