URL minder and website downloading softw

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Fri May 30 09:18:33 EDT 1997

     The NetAttache software from Tympani http://www.tympani.com is an
     off-line reader.  We have looked at several such programs, and
     NetAttache is the one we  prefer.

     It allows us to easily download a site, and offers the ability to go
     as deeply or shallowly as we like.  We include or exclude external
     links - and tell it not to loop higher in the site (if there is a link
     to home, for example) if we just want to go "down" from a given point.

     The downside is that it saves the pages in a proprietary format.  The
     pages are easily viewed with Netscape and IR - there is no proprietary
     browser involved.  The database they build to store the files is very
     compact and easy-ish with which to work.  It also makes it very
     difficult for people to muck with the data - which is good for us
     because we want a "true copy" of the site at a different time.

     Attache will also check for pages that have changed, and offers
     unattended operation and a lot of scheduling flexibility.  We use it
     to hit weather and news sites automatically, for example.

     We make copies of our sites using NetAttache so that we can keep a
     copy of what we've done.

     Earl Young