E-mail in libraries

Katrina N. Magnuson katrina at anet-chi.com
Thu May 29 16:48:43 EDT 1997

JOSEPH MAXIMILLIAN MURPHY wrote:

> It seems to me that 2 different scenarios are being discussed in this thread,
> and I wanted to try briefly to untangle them.

Thank you, Joe, for untangling us!  I was just about to finally give up
and jump in with the same comment myself, when I read your message.

The free, web-based email services (which is what this thread started
out discussing) don't take up any more of the library's resources than
just using the library's internet connection and browser.  When I worked
as a public librarian, we restricted time on our one sit-down internet
station to one hour -- to patrons who signed up at the ref desk.  We
eventually added two more stand-up internet stations, which we
restricted to 20 minutes (IF someone else was waiting) as these PCs also
accessed our OPAC.  Who are we to say that someone couldn't use their
one hour (or 20 minutes) emailing friends, relatives, colleagues,  or
listservs via HotMail or another, similar service?  Granted, with only
one internet station sometimes the sign-up sheet was pretty full, but
how can a librarian say that one individual's usage is more valid than
another's?

Just my $.02.

--
Katrina Magnuson