e-mail in libraries

Jim Hurd jhurd at indiana.edu
Thu May 29 13:59:20 EDT 1997

Subject: Re: e-mail in libraries

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Ronnie Morgan wrote:

:Ouch!  That kind of hurt.  This should have been sent privately as it is
:attacking me, and not anything about the topic.

	Balderdash.

	It was certainly about the topic--inquiring as to the methodology
that led to your conclusions.

	Looking closely at workstations, while walking by them, could
certainly be considered snooping by a reasonable person.  Unless a person
is using a very large font, you would have to be pretty close to get an
idea of what s/he was doing. Librarians I know, go out of their way to
protect patron privacy, which I was taught was of primary importance.

:No, I do not "snoop" on our patrons.  But I do walk by those workstations
:a good deal in my normal daily chores.

:Also, other librarians here have told me about what they have "found"
:when walking by them.

:If anything, I waste more time responding to people like you on this
:list.

	Well, at least a person *like me*, does his posting while he is
off the clock.

			 Have a nice day,
		        	  JH