Matching search engine/tools with a type of library

Joe Barker jbarker at library.berkeley.edu
Thu May 29 10:50:59 EDT 1997

Allison--
	May I recommend the searching part of the UCB Teaching Lib
tutorial?   There is a page that helps people analyze their needs based
on the characteristics of their inquiry.  Do they need phrase searching?
or Boolean-equivalent power?  Or truncation?  etc.  This is at:
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet
/Strategies.html#FeaturesTable

	It doesn't matter what kind of library you are:  each search has
inherent needs in order to effective with the array of search tools
available.

	Then there are tables showing which tools have the features and
how one invokes them.  These are at:
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/ToolsTables.html

	There are additional detailed instructions for all the search
tools you mention in your question.  Please check it out and feel free to
use it if it will help.   Any comments or suggestions about the tutorial
are welcomed..
	Joe Barker,  The Teaching Library, UC Berkeley
	jbarker at library.berkeley.edu