URL minder and website downloading softw

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Wed May 28 21:08:13 EDT 1997

On Tue, 27 May 1997 15:44:13 -0700 toth-waddell at ontla.ola.org wrote:
> URL minders:
> I've heard that software exists which tells you not only when a web page
> has changed, but also what the change is.  Does anyone know where I could
> find this software?  If not, are there any regular types of URL minders
> anyone can recommend?

I'm sure there is software out there somewhere to do it, but I just use a
service on the net that will e-mail me when pages change.  The URL is:

  http://www.netmind.com/URL-minder/URL-minder.html

> Website downloading:
> We would like to be able to download a complete website occasionally so
> that we can catalogue it and preserve it in some manner (diskette, server
> or print- we haven't fully explored these options yet).  Does anyone know
> of any such software they can recommend?  Has anyone had experience with
> trying to preserve complete sites?

I've been using Nicolai Langfeldt's w3mir program lately.  It runs with
PERL plus some modules on a UNIX or win32 system.  The URL of the info is:

  http://www.math.uio.no/~janl/w3mir/

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                      pem at po.cwru.edu