e-mail in libraries

Millard Johnson zendog at incolsa.palni.edu
Wed May 28 20:40:29 EDT 1997

I have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Bogage's argument below.
The difference between good libraries and poor ones is not how
many services they provide but how WELL they do what they
consider their primary mission.  E-mail account administration requires
resources.  Those resources could be applied to longer open
hours, bibliographic instruction, institutional online archives,
web page design - a zillion other things.  The quickest path
to mediocrity is to do everything you might LIKE to do without
insisting on the resources to do your primary mission well first.
There is a trend now in fine universities to end PPP dial in
accounts and ask users to get accounts from commercial
providers.  Apparently the true costs are lower.  The telephone
analogy is probably a good one.  Telephones are at least
as necessary for research as Email and providing telephone
service is generally a business that libraries define themselves
as NOT being in.
  MJ