Matching search engine/tools with a type of library

Allison Ho HO at slais.ubc.ca
Wed May 28 13:58:30 EDT 1997

Hello.  I am a Librarianship student at the University of British Columbia, I
and I am looking for information to help with a class presentation.

I am wondering if it is possible to match different (types of) search
engines with different types of libraries/library needs.  Our broad
categories are public, academic and special libraries, and the five
main search engines/tools we're looking at are Open Text, Yahoo,
Alta Vista, Hot Bot and InfoSeek.

Do you have a preference for certain Internet search engines for your
library's needs (whether or not they are one of the five I just
listed)?  What type of library do you work with, and Why do
prefer/think those search engines work better for you/your library?

This is my first contribution ever to an discussion list, and I did
try to look through the list's archives first.  I apologize if I am
repeating a recent discussion, or am making some other nasty error.

Thanks!
Allison

Allison Ho, Graduate Student
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
The University of British Columbia
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
E-mail: HO at slais.ubc.ca