A non-hoax e-mail transmitted virus

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Tue May 27 09:24:15 EDT 1997

At 02:57 PM 5/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>If you can provide authentication for this, please do so. I checked both
>the DOE's CIAC site and McAfee's site, and could find no mention of a
>virus called Sharefun.

Dorothy,

First of all, thank you for the excellent reminder that you shouldn't post
such messages without verifying them.  Of course, looking at the URL posted
in my message, you will see such verification.  My only error may be that
the actual virus name is SHAREFUN.A

I am not some net newbie taken in by the Good Times hoax.  I am a network
administrator and know my way around the on-line world.  This threat is
_real_ according to McAfee.

>> 8<x-----------SNIPPITY SNIP----------------x
>> For an in depth look at ShareFun visit McAfee:
>> http://www.mcafee.com/support/techdocs/vinfo/v3333.html
>>

>> MCAFEE DISCOVERS SHAREFUN VIRUS; FIRST MACRO VIRUS TO AUTOMATICALLY EMAIL
>> ITSELF TO UNSUSPECTING VICTIMS

 Always dream and shoot higher         |      Bill Crosbie
 than you know you can do.             |      Microcomputer Analyst
 Don't bother just to be better than   |      Chang Science Library
 your contemporaries or predecessors.  |      Rutgers University
 Try to be better than yourself.       |      New Brunswick, NJ USA
                                       |      crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
      ~~William Faulkner~~             |      908-932-0305 x114