time limits for internet terminal access

Reading Public Library, Reference Dept. rplref at ptd.net
Wed May 21 15:37:38 EDT 1997

I would like to thank all the list members who answered my question
privately and to the list.  This one is so ingenious, that I will champion
it here.  It will be particularly helpful as the number of internet
terminals increases.

Eileen Stec
Reading Public Library
Reading, PA

Eileen-
We have nine Internet terminals adjacent to our main Reference Desk.
At the upper right corner of each monitor is a self-adhesive transparent
plastic pocet, about two and one-half inches wide and 3 inches tall,
obtained at an office supply store. Taped to the front of the pocket is
a sign that says "STOP. Present library card or photo ID at Reference
Desk before using this terminal." Lying flat in a drawer between our two
front reference desk stations is a plastic  eight and one half by 11
notebook insert for holding baseball cards, Coincidentally it will hold
nine cards or, in our case, library cards, drivers licenses, or other credit
card size photo IDs. Each slot is numbered with permanent marker from 1-9
and holds a correspondingly numbered 2x5 strip cut from a bright yellow
3x5 card. When a customer wishes to use a terminal, we take his ID and
place it in the pocket corresponding to the terminal he will use. We give
him the yellow strip upon which we have written the time when his use of
the terminal is up (one hour later in our case). He (or she) takes the
strip and places it in the pocket on the terminal. At a glance, by looking
for the bright yellow strips, we know if customers using the terminals have
checked in or not. By walking over to the terminals , we can tell if a
customers time has expired. We allow customers to use the terminals for a
maximum of two, nonconsecutive one hour time slots per day. We allow same day
only reservations (no group reservations) and handle these by writing the
reservation time and a persons initials on the yellow slip and circling
it in red. We are not particularly fussy about kicking people off the
terminals after one hour unless others are asking to use them.

We have used this simple, homemade system for about two months, and it
seems to work very well. Staff are pleased and it has met with little
customer resistance. Our regulars come up to the desk with ID in hand. We
quickly exchange it for a yellow slip, often doing so without missing a
beat while answering a telephone question or working with another in
person customer. Both the ID system and the high visibility of our WWW
work stations seem to encourage customer responsibility.-

I may have failed to mention that the terminals are numbered, the ID
pockets are numbered and the yellow slips are numbered. At the end of his
time, the customer comes back to the desk and exchanges his yellow slip
for his ID. A few customers do walk off wihtout picking up ID but very few.
Most figure it out quickly and come claim their IDs from us or our lost
and found. We normally call them if they don't claim within a short
period of time.

No, this isn't automated or fancy but it seems to work. Maybe it can work
for you.

Bob Copeland
Program Administrator for Reference & Adult Services
Fort Collins (CO) Public Library
Tel.: (970) 221-6380
FAX: (970) 416-2140
email: copeland at libsys.ci.fort-collins.co.us