Reasons for a library webpage vs institution webpages

Bill Drew drewwe at morrisville.edu
Wed May 21 14:50:46 EDT 1997

The discussion about the reasons for a library webpage is quite
interesting to me.  I have responsibility for the design and content of
our library webpages as well as being "webmaster" of content and design
of the college webpages where I assist others in creating their pages.
It is clear to me that a library page performs a different function than
an institutional webpage.

The primary purpose of a library webpage MUST be to serve the user
community.  It cannot be for the glorification of the staff or the
library.  A well designed content based webpage will reflect well upon
the institution and the library and its staff.  One that simply "toots
its own horn" will be useless to one and all.

An institution wide website (especially a college webpage) is
multifunctional.  It must attract potential students as well as be
useful to current students.  Some pages will be strictly marketing while
others will be strictly service oriented toward a particular part of the
college community.  Many will do both.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
New Homepage: http://www.snymor.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm