controlling patron internet access time

Jack Albrecht coyote7 at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 20 22:35:57 EDT 1997

As with Debby's system, the San Diego Public Library system has an
Internet policy that is posted in sight of the Internet terminals.  As
of this writing, each branch is allowed to determine some criteria
pertaining to duration on the terminals and advance signup policy.
Although this may lead to some confusion, thus far the situation seems
fairly equitable.

At my branch, customers are able to sign up for a maximum of one hour
each day.  They may also sign up a day in advance and -- as of this
writing at least -- may phone up to reserve the terminal.  In the
spirit of "move it or lose it," the signup sheets clearly state that if
the customer is more than five minutes late, they lose their turn.  We
are pretty strict about allowing customers extra time on the computers
-- especially since we have dual access to both the Internet and our
OPACs on each smart terminal (we do have one dedicated dumb OPAC
terminal).

So far, there have not been extremely unpleasant episodes with those
ubiquitous creatures, THE INTERNET MONOPOLIZERS.  We try to educate the
public in the golden rule policy.  Granted, many believe in the
survival of the meanest approach!  In those cases, only preschool
psychology seems to work!!!

jack albrecht
kensington-normal heights branch library
http://pw2.netcom.com/~coyote7/librarian/cove.html