Security problems using Win'95

Glen Davies daviesg at lib.chchp.ac.nz
Tue May 20 19:22:33 EDT 1997

> Sayed Z. Hassan wrote:

> > We want to setup a LAN so each NT workstations will load Netscape
> > software from NT server (if possible, load NT workstation software
> > also).  Can this be accomplished?

You can load Netscape form the server but at this stage you can't
load NT, Microsoft are still working on the cut down Network computer
version of NT.

> > We want to setup NT workstations to protect unauthorized system
> > configuration change.  How can we accomplish it?

As long as when installing NT you format the hard disk to NT's file system
NTFS and not FAT. With NTFS you can restrict access down to file
level on the local hard disk the same way you can on a server. You
can also set the system so that only administrators can change system
settings, install drivers etc.  If you are running an NT server you
can also use the policy editor to remove various items from the
desktop and start menu of selected workstations, network neighbourhood,
my computer, run, shutdown etc.

Glen Davies                        "I've been drunk for
Systems Support Librarian    a week now, and I
Learning Resource Centre    thought it might sober
Christchurch Polytechnic      me up to sit in a
daviesg at lib.chchp.ac.nz       library."
New Zealand                               F.Scott Fitzgerald
                                          The Great Gatsby, ch3.