Scripting Logins

kay mary kaym at laurel.humboldt.edu
Sun May 18 09:16:59 EDT 1997

I've been noticing a surge in the use of passwording for sites that
libraries might wish to link up as they begin to offer access to such
objects as electronic journals.  At the same time, workload for systems
staff becomes heavier all the time, so that expecting that group to take
on a new task of custom scripting individual site logins is
unrealistic.

So I am begging advice from the able practicioners of
web4lib, who have taught me so much.  How can access to web sites
requiring logins and passwords be most easily set up, so that additions
and maintenance can be done by the inexpert but willing worker?  Our site
has authentication in place for licensed sites, but I'd like a way to
mask passwords and also make this access simpler for the user by
scripting the various logins.  How do others accomplish this for other
than FirstSearch access?

I've looked at information on Webscript and Expect, but do not know
enough to evaluate these alternatives.  I can call on technical
help outside the library, but would like to provide some reasonable avenues
to explore since those people are not accustomed to working with library
problems.

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice with this problem, which I
think is a common one!

Mary Kay
Humboldt State University Library - Collection Development
kaym at laurel.humboldt.edu