visible print/invisible screen

Paul F. Schaffner pfs at umich.edu
Fri May 16 23:32:17 EDT 1997

I have been asked by some fellow librarians how best to tag
URLs in a hot-list type of page so that they do *not* appear
on the screen, but *do* appear when the page is printed (e.g.,
by a patron to take away and consult later). The best I could
come up with off the cuff was the old expedient: a <font> tag
with the color attribute set to the background color (or to the
color of the background image); then print from Netscape with
"black text" box checked on the page setup menu. This works after a
fashion, but only at the risk of encountering display configurations
and browsers that won't cooperate. I'm sure there must be a neater
and more elegant approach.... but what is it?