launching telnet with scripted pword from browser?

Alejandro Garza Gonzalez agarza at ci.mty.itesm.mx
Fri May 16 10:52:44 EDT 1997

On Fri, 16 May 1997, David Risner wrote:

> On Thu, 15 May 1997, Bin Zhang wrote:
> > I don't think expect works through CGI.  However, you could telnet to
> > a port, and run an expect script, which telnet to a host, login, fill
> > in password, do a search, etc.
>
> In this case, you wouldn't be setting up expect as a CGI script.  You
> would set it up as a helper app in Netscape.

** The latter is incorrect; if what you want to do is just bypass the
login/password entry in an _interactive_ telnet session, you have to
configure everything in your UNIX machine via a telnet connection
(David is right) where you would do the following:

  1) Set up a new account users can telnet into. Now, this account can
     have just a login (no password) to ease matters. Or you could bypass
     the user/password challenge... consult your resident Unix wizard.
     (remember your security issues! Limit this service to certain IP
      addresses, or require some universal password like the library card
      ID...)

  2) Once you've conected to that account, it automatically calls up
     Expect, which then telnets to the other service, logs in
     automatically, and then hands over control to the user.

Remember, this all happens in the Unix server, connected via a telnet
App. So if you want to make your users connect to this from a webpage,
you use a telnet://host.etc.etc:port URL.

You _COULD_ make this all run from a CGI, but it's a very complicated issue
when dealing with search services-- but for simple things, it can be done.
For example, we use Expect to validate our patron's identity with the PIN
that is stored in our Innopac via a CGI.

_ alejandro garza _________________ __ _ _  _    _
  ITESM Centro de Informacion-Biblioteca Monterrey
  agarza at campus.mty.itesm.mx
_ http://www-cib.mty.itesm.mx/ ____ __ _ _  _    _