Home page naming: index/welcome/home, etc.

Lani Teshima-Miller teshima at hawaii.edu
Fri May 16 03:42:00 EDT 1997

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Bob Duncan wrote:
> My questions: (1) Is there a standard (yeah I know...sorry)
> pecking order?, i.e., in the absence of a filename at the end of
> a URL, does the server look first for welcome.htm, then
> index.htm, then home.htm, etc.; or, if there is no standard (my
> guess), (2) is this configured for each server by the system
> admin, or is server software preconfigured to look for certain
> filenames as default home pages?

We were just talking about this the other day. It appears that the
priority of how it searches the file names depends on how your sysadmn
sets the settings. At hawaii.edu it appears that "welcome.html" is
searched for first, while at another ISP I use the default is index.html.

I suspect that as long as you don't have welcome.html, index.html and
home.html all in the same public_html directory you should be fine.

* Lani Teshima-Miller <teshima at Hawaii.edu>.....Student Services Officer *
* School of Library & Information Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa*
* "Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to   *
*  that of an ignorant nation." -Walter Cronkite            '96 UA M+2P *