Fortress 101

Marcia D Talley mdtalley at nadn.navy.mil
Thu May 15 13:34:44 EDT 1997

We use Fortres 101 at the Naval Academy Library to secure the PCs in our
Bibliographic Instruction Rooms which are open for student use all hours
the library is open.  We support the product enthusiastically!  It can be
customed to keep students from changing desktop settings, putting up
strange screen savers, downloading objectional material from the Internet,
etc., in short, it keeps them from doing anything that writes data to the
hard drive, yet you can specify a certain subdirectory (C:>USER for
example) that programs such as WordPerfect and QuatroPro can write to. The
A:> drive can also remain active, if you want.  There are *many* options.

One warning, however.  We use Dr. Solomon's WinGuard virus protection and
that is incompatible with Fortres 101.  We had to deactivate it to run
Fortres.  I'm not sure if it's the same with other virus protection
software.

Another plus:  Fortres technical support people are FANTASTIC!  I never
had to wait for a call back and the person I talked to each time was very
helpful and totally familiar with the product.

Fortres 101 is available from:

Fortres Grand Corporation
PO Box 888
Plymouth, IN  46563
1-800-331-0372

| Marcia D. Talley, Systems Librarian   |
| Nimitz Library, U.S. Naval Academy    |
| 589 McNair Rd.                        |
| Annapolis, MD 21402-5029              |
| 410-293-6905 (v); 410-293-3669 (f)    |
| mdtalley at nadn.navy.mil                |