Information brokers at public PCs

Jennifer Reiswig jreiswig at ucsd.edu
Wed May 14 17:08:42 EDT 1997

Does anyone on this list have experience or suggestions for dealing
with information brokers who use your public PCs/terminals as their
office?

We have an individual who essentially runs his business out of our
library. He has been asked repeatedly not to spend hours at the
computers during busy times.  Beyond the inconvenience to our users of
having one of our PCs taken over, I'm concerned about legal problems we
might have when our licensed databases and electronic journals are used
in-house by someone who is sending results to outside clients for a fee.
We are open to the public, and we don't turn members of the public away
from our computers (unless they are disruptive), but this situation
disturbs me.  We've always had document delivery providers photocopy
from our journals, but somehow this feels different.

Does anyone have any kind of guidelines or policy statements they have
worked up for such situations? Have you dealt with a similar situation
before?

PS - I will be on holiday/conference from the 19th through 29th, so
I won't be able to post a summary of replies til then.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Jenny Reiswig
Reference/Electronic Services Librarian
UC San Diego Biomedical Library