NCs or X-Terms (was: Re: Changing images on a page)

Cindi Trainor cindi at pop.uky.edu
Thu May 8 11:26:01 EDT 1997

Hi Folks,
Anthony Starks' recommendation of X-terminals to make web browsing
secure brings up another question.  I hope it is on-topic enough
for this list...

Are X-terminals or the new, much-hyped Network Computers (NCs) being
considered for use as locked-down web browsers in any libraries out there?
I saw a demo of an NC recently, and it didn't come close to meeting the
expectations I had for it based on articles I had read.

I am very interested--do you think there is a role for these devices in our
libraries?  There are many issues to consider:

No diskette drive means patrons can't take information away with
	them easily (recommended solution: supply server space for patrons
	and have a fully-functional PC nearby with a disk drive to allow
	downloading).
The only apps that run locally (currently) are a web browser (plugin and
	other capabilities unknown), maybe a telnet, and the kernel.
Much-touted Java-based productivity apps are still far down the pike, so
	running such apps (i.e. Word, etc.) requires an NT server with more
	memory than Methuzela has years (up to 8-12 MB per workstation!)
	and WinFrame, software that is still only available in the Win 3.x
interface.
The savings (up to 41%, according to Gartner Group) come from the ease of
	maintenance (no moving parts) and support, not from the initial
	purchase price.  If this is true, what is the advantage of implementing
	these over traditional PCs in a server-based, networked environment?

Cindi
--
 Cindi Trainor                          | cindi at pop.uky.edu | (606)257-6434
 Electronic Resources Support Librarian |      404 King Library South

At 12:26 PM 4/22/97 -0700, Anthony Starks wrote:
>A better way to control a public Internet browser, its settings and use
>is NOT TO HOST IT ON A PERSONAL COMPUTER. If you connect a X terminal to
>a UNIX server and run the browser from there, then not only can you
>strictly control configuration, you can also scatter several terminals
>and serve them from one machine. A PC running Linux could serve nicely
>as your server.
>
>This set up can be used to fix the home page, deny access to downloads,
>etc.
>
>Also, since the X terminals don't have diskette drives you do not have
>to worry about patrons booting their own software.

[original posting about a patron changing a web page icon deleted]