Filtering viewpoints... -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Mon May 5 19:52:35 EDT 1997

>>> Earl J. Moniz <emoniz at christcom.net> 04/29/97
08:04pm >>>
Librarian - if it exists in our library, I am responsible for the
exposure/use of that resource to age appropriate individuals
... regardless of whether it comes to me in books with covers
or electronically with headers/URLs ...
-----------------------------
Really?  What if your local flasher comes in and shows his
(or her, though I've not seen that since the days of streaking)
privates to your patrons.  Are YOU personally responsible?
I'd never claim to be.

And, to make it a bit more relevant....what if some other local
prevert came in and started showing the kids or the adults
the latest Hustler centerfold, or even hard core porn, or kiddie
porn, or bestiality porn.  Are YOU responsible for that?
Again, I don't think so.  Sure, you'll chase him out, call the
cops, whatever, but that is after the fact.  That is the best
you can do on filters....since dozens of new sites come up
every day....and some will have porn.  The best you can do is
to deal with the problem if/when the problem arises....and
hopefully you have a written policy in place in advance.
Again, sexual harrassment laws are a VERY useful tool.

cyclops

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.