Librarian's attitudes toward filtering: The turning

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at Harding.edu
Fri May 2 10:38:37 EDT 1997

>     Hah! That's pretty funny. I thought my tone was more along the lines
>     of "No censoring software in libraries or we go on strike." When I was
>     discussing the rights of children to access adult materials that
>     wasn't so much a demand as an important attempt to present a point of
>     view never aired. I haven't heard much from kids about this. What do
>     they think?
>
>     My position on children's rights isn't absurd, it's logical. SUre,
>     many of you are unfamiliar with it, but you'll hear it more often in
>     coming years. I think the dark age of treating children like idiots is
>     starting to move behind us.

I'm all for children's rights.  But what are thier rights?  Obviously they
are not going to have the same rights as adults, and they won't have the
same number of rights either.  If they did, they'd be allowed to vote,
drive a car at the age of 3, etc..  So, some things they are mature enough
to handle, and some things they are not.  Porn is one of the not's.

As for "Heather" and "Daddy's roommate", I don't really have a problem with
them either, considering that they don't show the mom's and dad's engaged
in anything, if you know what I mean.  The problem with stuff on the
internet is the sites are catered to adults, not kids.  If they were more
for kids, there wouldn't be so much of the explicit language or pictures,
and there would be more "information" that would actually be useful for a
child.  Those two books are useful because they can be used to talk about
what is normal in a relationship, and what is not.  For a child, there is
nothing useful about porn.

Ronnie