filtering update ...

scharles libernet at midtown.net
Fri May 2 01:42:32 EDT 1997

I got this from Netsurfer Digest.  I think it's hilarious.

SC

<quoted>
TURNING BLOCKING SOFTWARE INSIDE OUT

     Along with blocking "objectionable" sites (no, not just porn), Solid
     Oak Software's (SOS) Cybersitter also blocks access to sites which are
     critical of the product itself. Which is one reason why Bennett
     Haselton has been a thorn in the side of SOS for some time. His latest
     exploit is a utility which will decrypt Cybersitter's filter file and
     produce the exhaustive list of forbidden Web sites for your amusement.
     Needless to say, SOS is not amused. In return, the company has
     modified Cybersitter to check for the code breaker and refuse to
     install should it be detected. SOS has also periodically removed the
     filter file from their Web site and it has threatened Bennett for
     linking to their site (can you say "unclear on the concept"?).
     Naturally, the enterprising Bennett provides workarounds for every one
     of these actions. While SOS summons legal demons to curse the teenaged
     Bennett, the Net (cliche alert!) routes around censorship yet again.
     <http://www.peacefire.org/>

<unquoted>