Libraries & Filtering policies

Thomas W. Perrin tperrin937 at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 1 09:53:04 EDT 1997

The attached is an excerpt from the Sunday April 27 Winston Salem
Journal op ed page.

http://www.JournalNow.com/news/index/editcolumns.html
NARROW MINDS: Bills in N.C. House bash gays,
blacks

  Two bone-headed bills introduced in the N.C. House last
  week are enough to prove that democracy works -- evidently
  anybody can be elected to public office.
  The first, proposed by Rep. Don Davis, a
  Republican from Harnett County who's running for
  Congress in the 2nd District, would require
  written parental permission for anyone under 18
  to gain access to books, tapes or information in
  a public library that mentions people ''engaging in
   . . sexual acts, unnatural sexual acts, alternative lifestyles,
   (and) any other sexual activity outside the bonds of
   matrimony.'' Davis, by the way, is so faithfully conservative
   that he was awarded an honorary doctorate by Heritage
     Bible College.

I was in North Carolina on Sunday, but forgot to bring the column
back with me.  The entire column is well written and well worth
reading.

Tom Perrin
Tom's Quick Guide to the Internet & The World Wide Web
http://members.aol.com/tomsquickg/index.html