Cyberfiltering

Steve Harter harter at indiana.edu
Thu May 1 08:43:54 EDT 1997

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Dianne L Parham wrote:

> Many libraries, including mine, have separate children's and adults
> computers.  But here is the question I pose....who decides when a child
> becomes an adult?  I can't visualize overworked staff checking I.D.'s.

That reminds me of my own experience in my local public library as a 11 or
12 year old kid, when I checked out and read _From Here to Eternity_. A
couple of years later I wanted to re-read it and was denied, as not being
an adult.  (There must have been a change in policy, or perhaps just a
sloppy clerk the first time around.) Having already read the book, I was
amused at the irony even then.

My point is that chronological age says very little that is useful about
this issue, whether we are talking about books or Web pages.

I also read everything I could get my hands on that provided me with much
needed information about sex. (Don't most adolescents?) Readers Digest
was the best single source.

   Steve

      Stephen P. Harter,  School of Library and Information Science
      Indiana University                      Voice: (812) 855-5113
      Bloomington, IN 47405                     Fax: (812) 855-6166
                           <harter at indiana.edu>