Using Java for Database searching

Andrew Drayton a.drayton at uws.edu.au
Fri May 23 03:33:07 EDT 1997

I would like to hear from anybody who has had experience using Java to
query databases.

Our specific scenario is as follows:

We have 2 Novell servers running CDROM applications - the CDs sit on towers
while the application software sits on the servers. Currently people access
the applications across the ethernet network from a dos menu on a local
workstation.

What we would like to do is get our Sun Ultra2 to talk to the Novell boxes.
Then have all calls come from some Java applets which Netscape would
execute, via the Sun to the Novell server. The apps would fire up, and the
results of the request to the app would be passed back and interpreted for
display in the browser.

How we think it would work:

html with embedded call to java applet.

Applet sends a request to the relevant application on the Novell host, via a
java API.

Application runs and does what it was asked.

Results from the application are returned to the API for re-intepretation.

Interpreted data is then passed back to the java applet for display via the
browser.

Has anyone written an interface of this kind for CD products? Or a similar
environment?

  Andrew Drayton
  Library Network Support Officer
  University of Western Sydney, Nepean