visible print/invisible screen

David King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Mon May 19 11:18:30 EDT 1997

At 08:44 PM 5/16/97 -0700, Paul F. Schaffner wrote:
>I have been asked by some fellow librarians how best to tag
>URLs in a hot-list type of page so that they do *not* appear
>on the screen, but *do* appear when the page is printed (e.g.,
>by a patron to take away and consult later). The best I could
>come up with off the cuff was the old expedient: a <font> tag
>with the color attribute set to the background color (or to the
>color of the background image); then print from Netscape with
>"black text" box checked on the page setup menu. This works after a
>fashion, but only at the risk of encountering display configurations
>and browsers that won't cooperate. I'm sure there must be a neater
>and more elegant approach.... but what is it?

If you're using Netscape, you can set it up to print the URL at the top
of the page, whether or not the URL actually shows up on said page.
Go to Page Setup under File, and click on Document Location (I'm
using Communicator on a Win95 PC - others might be slightly
different).

David King
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Southern Mississippi