printing problems

Downing, Deb downingd at metronet.lib.mi.us
Thu Mar 27 12:39:30 EST 1997

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, David P Atkins wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Dominique Hallett wrote:
>
> > Some of our students are having trouble printing from certain pages.
> > They seem to be java script or cgi based pages. (I think)  Can anyone
> > offer any suggestions?
> >

> We have similar problems, started w/ Netscape 3.0 w/o java.  For pages
> that will not print, we try to save them either as html files or try a
> "print screen" capture to your computer's clip board, then paste'n'print
> in another application.

We have also had printing problems with Netscape 3.0, specifically with HP
Deskjet 600s. I just checked Netscape's tech support pages, and found a
hint in the Navigator 3.x technical notes.  I didn't see any mention of
printing issues with other printers -- are you folks using HP Deskjets
too?  Anyways, here's the hint:

	Issue:  Printing on-line with HP Deskjets series 500, 600, & 800
	OS:     Win3.x, Win95
	Product:Netscape Navigater (All Versions)

	Cause:  Deskjets were not designed for any kind of network
	printing and have NO Onboard Memory. Also the 600 and 800
	series use the bi-directional drivers.

	Work Around:
	All series: Set spooler format properties to RAW 600 to 800.
	Turn off bi-directional printing.

-----
Deb Downing, Systems Librarian
Baldwin & Bloomfield Township Public Libraries
downingd at metronet.lib.mi.us