CDA Oral Arguments: Filtering the OPAC

Steve Hooley! hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Thu Mar 27 08:27:28 EST 1997

        But we don't have a total monopoly on chowderheads yet. I know know
how long ago this was; it was clipped from a 'fortune cookie' program.
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (The Times of London)

Dear Sir,

I am firmly opposed to the spread of microchips either to the home or
to the office.  We have more than enough of them foisted upon us in
public places.  They are a disgusting Americanism, and can only result
in the farmers being forced to grow smaller potatoes, which in turn
will cause massive unemployment in the already severely depressed
agricultural industry.

Yours faithfully,
        Capt. Quinton D'Arcy, J. P.
        Sevenoaks

At 02:02 PM 3/26/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Lucky you!  :)
>--Barb Dunn
>
>On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Jon Knight wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Rich Greenfield wrote:
>> > Mr. Waxman, Deputy Solicitor General
>> > [...]
>> >      Now, the definition, the accepted definition of what is patently
offensive,
>> > that is a term of art. It is very narrow, and it is exceedingly
difficult to see how
>> > it would apply to more than a handful of cards in a card catalogue, but
to the
>> > extent that it does, you can simply run it through some sort of word
processor
>> > or computer program to screen -- it's only text, after all, on cards,
and if you
>> > find a card that --
>>
>> I have a sneaky feeling that most libraries already have what was once
>> their card catalogues online and in many cases the cards don't exist
>> anymore (and haven't for some time).  I certainly wouldn't want to suck
>> out our 500,000+ works from the relation database that underlies our OPAC
>> and then "simply run it through some sort of word processor". :-)
>>
>> Thank goodness I'm on this side of the Atlantic for once.
>>
>> Tatty bye,
>>
>> Jim'll
>>
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>> Jon "Jim'll" Knight, Researcher, Sysop and General Dogsbody, Dept. Computer
>> Studies, Loughborough University of Technology, Leics., ENGLAND.  LE11 3TU.
>> * I've found I now dream in Perl.  More worryingly, I enjoy those dreams. *

 Stephen S. Hooley                "When the going gets
 Romulan Tech Support              weird, the weird

 Systems Group                     turn pro."

 Henderson Library                  -- Hunter S. Thompson

 Ga Southern Univ

 Statesboro, GA 30460