Pull the plug -- libraries aren't common carriers

Steve Hooley! hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Tue Mar 25 11:18:15 EST 1997

       This reminds me of the problem our late enemies in the USSR faced
when the PC computer came along, ready to print out forbidden texts or
uplink to dangerous foreign countries. They chose to keep their students
away from the PC; now they're a bunch of little countries running to catch
up. You can't keep info from people in a free society. Hey! Let's put the
whole library under a security lock - then people will be hacking in to read
Dickens and Swift to see what dangerous ideas are being kept from them.

t 04:07 PM 3/24/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Wilfred Drew wrote:
>
>>I have been watching this whole discussion with great interest and also
>>with disgust.  I see librarians suggesting that we have twowlevels of
>>access to library service.  That makes me sick to my stomache.
>
>The nausea you're feeling is only cognitive dissonance.  Once you get
>used to the idea of  diversity in library Internet access, it will pass,
>trust me.
>
>          ***********************************************************
>          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
>          The Lake Oswego Public Library
>          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
>          Phone:     (503) 635-0392
>          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
>          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us

 Stephen S. Hooley                "When the going gets
 Romulan Tech Support              weird, the weird

 Systems Group                     turn pro."

 Henderson Library                  -- Hunter S. Thompson

 Ga Southern Univ

 Statesboro, GA 30460