Pull the plug -- libraries aren't common carriers

Nick Arnett narnett at verity.com
Sun Mar 23 18:03:38 EST 1997

At 01:15 PM 3/23/97 -0800, Burt, David wrote:

>While I think your modest proposal is a classic case of
>baby-out-with-the-bath-water, you make some trenchant points.

It was a kindness to call it modest.  One further thought on this comes to
mind.  I think it is highly likely that politicians will pull the plug on at
least some of the libraries' net connections.  Libraries would be wise to
pre-empt such a move, thus removing the politicians' source of power.  If
politicians force the disconnection, getting it reconnected will be much
harder than if it is a temporary move by the librarians.

The baby in this case is a bit more like the one brought before King Solomon.

Nick

Verity Inc. -- Connecting People with Information

Product Manager, Categorization and Visualization
408-542-2164; fax 408-541-1600; home office 408-733-7613
http://www.verity.com

Verity Inc.
894 Ross Drive
Sunnyvale, CA 94089