citrix winframe and associated software

jim hewitt hewitt at gloria.cord.edu
Sat Mar 22 13:51:33 EST 1997

we're looking at using winframe for our public terminals for the following
reasons:
	...better control over what programs (NOT WHAT CONTENT) is provided from
those
		using our web based library catalog
	...not having full function pc's which can introduce viruses, give access
to the hard drive (won't 		be any) for hackers
	...and a bonus we found out after looking into the possibility:  using our
campus dump of 386's 		and slow 486's sans their hard drives and floppy
drives as an unending supply of 		terminals running on the winframe network

while we are not a huge library, we see the immediate implementation of 35
terminals in public areas...

are there any other libraries who are exploring this option at the moment?
are there are who have already had some experience with "dumb-smart windows
terminals" as the base for their public access to either their library
catalog or the world wide web?

we hope to get around some of the problems others here have mentioned about
downloading, telnet to chat, irc programs, etc. in our library reference
areas with this program...if it has worked for you, and especially if it
hasn't, please respond to me and i'll respond to the list...

this might even be the basis for a software application listserv for those
of us involved???