modular library system

g.p.rao gprao at relay.lvpeye.stph.net
Sat Mar 22 04:43:54 EST 1997

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Theo van Veen wrote:

> Currently we are in the process of finding a replacement for our >
current library system. One special demand or wish is that the new >
library system has a modular architecture in such a way that it is >
possible to have circulation, acquisitions, serial control en the > OPAC
functionality from different vendors. Today most library > systems are
functionally single integrated systems. As integration > with the outside
world is becoming more and more important it seems > that library systems
could become a collection of rather independend > functions (clients and
servers) that communicate with each other in > the same way as with the
outside world. In such a system it would be > possible to add functions,
that make use of existing functionality > (by communicating with these
existing functions) without the need to > change the existing
functionality. > > I would like to know if there are other persons
involved in a similar > process and if one knows of library systems that
have an architecture > as described above. Are there libraries that have
already a system > build of individual components from different vendors?
> > Theo van Veen > --------------------------------------------------- >
Th. van Veen > University Library Utrecht > Wittevrouwenstraat 7-11 > 3512
CS Utrecht > Tel. 030-2536624 > Dear Web list members, we also in the same
information search please send information to me also.

		G.PRABHAKAR RAO,MA,MLISc
		LIBRARIAN
		L.V.PRASAD EYE INSTITUTE
		ROAD #2 BANJARA HILLS