Metasearch engines

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Tue Mar 18 12:26:12 EST 1997

Hi all:

I'm taking a bit of an informal poll to see who likes metasearch engines
and which ones you like best. I know they vary quite a bit. Some allow you
to search multiple search engines in one shot (Savvy Search, Metacrawler),
or one at a time (All-In-One) while others exist as lists of directories &
search engines in various subject areas (Hotwired's Wired Source, Internet
Sleuth).  Today I tried out a new one called ProFusion
(http://topaz.designlab.ukans.edu/profusion/) which I like, even though it
can be slow when you choose the option of having it check for non-working
links in the first X number of results.  I'd be particularly interested in
hearing from librarians who teach classes on search the Net and if they
include metasearch engines in their classes.

Thanks much
Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Database Management Librarian
Memorial Library, Marquette University