Netscape command-line options

Charles A. Summerhill casummerhill at librarylrc.uams.edu
Tue Mar 18 12:13:10 EST 1997

Chuck Bearden wrote:

  Thanks to Bill, Kyle, and Christopher for responding to my question.

  I'm still having trouble.  I'm using 32-bit Netscape 3.0.  Using the

  -h switch, I can get Netscape to start with the page named after the

  switch instead of the page specified in the registry.  However, when

  I click on the Home button, Netscape takes me back to the homepage
  defined in the registry, instead of to the one named after the
  switch.

  When using the -i switch, I can't get Netscape to observe the .INI
  file at all (because I'm using 32-bit Netscape?).

  Basically, I want to be able to tell Netscape to treat a page other
  than the one specified in the registry as the home page in certain
  instances, including to the extent that clicking Home takes the user

  to that page instead of to the one defined in the registry.  I don't

  think that the menuing system I'm using will permit shelling out
  to real-mode regedit to import the needed values each time.

  Any suggestions?  Am I missing something here?

Netscape completely ignores (for all purposes) the Netscape.ini file
under the 32-bit version. Two recourses are: use 16-bit Netscape in
32-bit Windows (not recommended, works fine -- but slow) or create a
.reg (registry) file with the Netscape setting correctly set and import
that into the registry each time before Netscape is launched. The second
option is not difficult to do and I can provide more information if
necessary.

Hope this helps!

--
  Charles A. Summerhill