Lawsuit for control of url?

Diane Madrigal dmadriga at unix2.nysed.gov
Mon Mar 17 16:15:25 EST 1997

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Kyle Harriss wrote:

<snip>
> A small publisher was *apparently* sued by another company - for
> posting a link into a page on that company's website, without
> permission.  I assume that no password was required for a user
> (of the link in question) to then view the page.

>From what I've read of this lawsuit, it was not simply a case of one
company posting the URL of another on a web page. The companies involved
were two newspapers, one large, one small, with very similar names. The
smaller paper linked to several *articles* published by the larger paper,
and because of the similarity of names and the way the links were set up
(frames, maybe?) it wasn't necessarily clear to viewers that they had left
the small paper's site and entered the larger paper's.

I've already deleted the information I had on this topic, but I believe
one of the papers was the Shetland Times. A search on that phrase would
probably turn up much more detailed information.

Diane Madrigal
New York State Library
State Education Department