Lawsuit for control of url?

Nick Arnett narnett at verity.com
Fri Mar 14 19:48:13 EST 1997

At 12:06 PM 3/14/97 -0800, Isobel Stark wrote:

>It's not an urban legend, it's true, sad to say.  Not as much hoha over
>here about as I thought, just lots of serious, worried, expressions of
>concern. That said it has been covered by all major print and broadcast
>media players.

Facts are not copyrightable (they don't meet the tests of being original and
creative), and since the U.K. is a Berne Convention signatory, I have a hard
time imagining that this suit could be sustained under copyright law if the
facts are as described.

All that said, I've seen sites that claim that you can't link to them
without permission.

Nick

Verity Inc. -- Connecting People with Information

Product Manager, Categorization and Visualization
408-542-2164; fax 408-541-1600; home office 408-733-7613
http://www.verity.com

Verity Inc.
894 Ross Drive
Sunnyvale, CA 94089