Lawsuit for control of url?

Kyle Harriss kharriss at d.umn.edu
Fri Mar 14 14:19:20 EST 1997

The following was brought to my attention by a coworker.

A small publisher was *apparently* sued by another company - for
posting a link into a page on that company's website, without
permission.  I assume that no password was required for a user
(of the link in question) to then view the page.

This is a case in Scotland, and so the legal repercussions may be
limited to the UK.  My assumption has always been that a url is like
a street address.   I don't feel that I'm violating anyone's copyright
or trademark if I mention the address "210 Elm Street".

Has anyone else heard of this case?  Or do you know if it is
fictitious?  I don't want to preserve an urban legend.
The info I received included a url, below.

Kyle Harriss				kharriss at d.umn.edu
Tech Services 				voice: 218-726-6546
UMD Library				fax:   218-726-8019
Duluth, MN  55812