Interactive Chat for reference/helpdesk purposes?

Alejandro Garza Gonzalez agarza at ci.mty.itesm.mx
Tue Mar 11 12:49:31 EST 1997

We are trying to implement a way to interact with users logged into our
network in our public access computers, using a combination of browser
tools and telnet connections; we will try using a two-user talk program
(WinTalk and UNIX ytalk), where patrons connect to a telnet port on our
unix server, which in turn connects them with our reference desk
computer, which 'rings' for each user attempting a connection; the help
desk could handle several conversations in multiple windows.

I would like to know if any other libraries have used similar systems,
and also any opinions, pros and cons to this approach... all replies will
be shared with list of course.

TIA

_ alejandro garza _________________ __ _ _  _    _
  ITESM Centro de Informacion-Biblioteca Monterrey
  agarza at campus.mty.itesm.mx
_ http://www-cib.mty.itesm.mx/ ____ __ _ _  _    _